27 January 2010

Declaration of Principles

Writing this manifesto will not be something done overnight. After all, it has taken me 20 years to get to a point in my life where I feel the itch to write such a thing, and it has taken just as long for me to start to understand the implications of art to an artist. Don't subscribe to this blog. The sentences will be run-ons, the ideas will be unfinished, and the grammar will be depraved.
And so, a Declaration of Principles:
1) Nostalgia is a disease, not a novelty. The truth has to be revealed. This does not mean a detachment of the past, but a mourning of the past and a celebration of the future and a celebration of the past but a mourning of the future. I fail to mention the present because it just passed.
2) No artist can thrive within a vacuum. Artistic community is vital to every artist because without it, a refinement of craft and concept could never be achieved.
3) I am art. Through the constant objectification that I have gone through at the hands of many, I have been made into an object. I cannot escape this role. I can, however, redeem the object I have become. Don't go thinking you have me pegged. I'm more than my mustache and social evasiveness.
4) Every day is the best day ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment