23 August 2010

B)

A friend of mine brought to my attention that a picture from SamSamland has been posted on the blog, Look At This Fucking Hipster
I don't really like the term "hipster," but I see that the flow of "Look At This Fucking Indie" doesn't work, so I can appreciate that. I also am not sure of the tone of the "Fucking" in the title. Does it take  more of a "fucking awesome" or "fucking ass hole" tone? Either is flattering.
I am concerned about those that cut themselves from the cloth of the hip. Cookie Cutter People that go to bed at night only knowing this about themselves: they'll wake up listening to vinyl, trimming their beard, being sexually ambiguous, drinking second rate beer, buying trinkets at thrift stores, taking awful pictures and dating girls that look just like them but that are less angsty. I understand that I am maybe one of those people, but I can't help that I love Helvetica and Fleet Foxes.
These activities may have stemmed originally from actual, honest pleasure that was experienced through them, but they have since created a sort of depraved kitsch seen in Zooey Deschanel films. 
My image that was posted on LATFH was part of a series of images purposed as a critique of the same elitist culture of kitsch that they now sit next to. And I love it.
LATFH has a book that is sold in Urban Outfitters. That's like Tyler Durden selling the rich their asses in luxury soaps.
I can appreciate that. Because white people love irony.
From this very post you can derive your own perception of me. I'm not guaranteeing it's wrong, but I'm giving you two options to make it easier:
A) I am so indie that I don't even realize it and that very act of humbleness only makes me more of a character from a Wes Anderson film. 


No comments:

Post a Comment