20 February 2010

Leo Tolstoy is my Main Man

Leo Tolstoy's What Is Art? has drawn so many of my concepts of art out into the light and I'm only 5 chapters in. Everything Tolstoy says adds up for me, but does so with an eloquence that I lack. The idea of life as art is such a refreshing concept, but instead of leaving that sweeping generalization, Tolstoy seperates good art from bad art by indicating the necessity of conscious art. Art is a means of union among men. Brilliant.
Artistic community is one of my key aesthetic principles that I adhere to but Tolstoy seems to make the arguement that all community is artistic community. I agree with that, however, just as an artist should be conscious of what he creates, he should be conscious of who he surrounds himself with. Existing within the community I've been planted in--both immediate and global--is vital to my growth as a person but as an artist, it is equally as vital to seek out those that appreciate art and to work with them, learn with them, and create something of meaning with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment