25 February 2010

Make Way, The Future Is Here!

Futurist manifestos have shown me a serious detestation of the past among communities of artists. Writers of several of the manifestos I have read act as if the human qualities and emotions shown through past works no longer exist in the modern psyche. I am hoping that these are merely satires of a concept, but my fear is that artists truly believe they are creating something never done before. Without a knowledge and appreciation of past forms, art becomes narcissistic and lacks cohesion. I am a Futurist in the sense that I see I need for art to progress into something new and brilliant--but I have an understanding that such newness requires something old. Futurists look at the world outside of their own pocket of creation and say, "No one understands me."
We all understand you. You are human just like us. The fact is, you like the idea that you are different from all of us. You seek persecution; go ahead and play the part of "The Misunderstood Martyr." Afterall, witches were burned because of their science. Futurists hand us the lighter fluid and kindling just so they can cry out that no one gets "it."

No comments:

Post a Comment