03 February 2010

Truth's Anatomy

I isolate myself with objects just like people do with walls. I integrate them into my art so that to discard them would be the abortion of an art concept.
I am a slave to art, then, not a slave to truth. If I am going to be a slave to anything, it should be truth.
I create crutches out of canvas and mustaches and second-hand everything. I hide behind the characters I fabricate and breathe into life.
I hide.
Art should not hide the truth, it should strip it of its excuses, its outer defense, and show the naked beauty of truth's anatomy.
That is the danger of "life as art." To step aside from your art is to declare death. Art and artist must coexist, but man must rule over art, or art will consume. Man and art are not parallel. They are both progressing towards perfection and one must overthrow the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment